Shown above for scale, I took some of Battat’s samples of the Our Generation books and made them into pdfs containing mini-versions for dollies! The size compliments 18 inch dolls as a pocket sized book and 6 inch dolls as a large book.
For the original samples, click on the images to link:
Use this pdf
and these simple instructions to make two mini size books. READ THROUGH THE INSTRUCTIONS ALL THE WAY FIRST. I don’t know why but not everyone does this. It’s like following a recipe and discovering you don’t have an ingredient. Crafts look most professional when you have your supplies and process in place before you start (which is why the second one almost always looks better!)
You will need two pieces of 8 1/2 by 11 (standard American) paper. Print the pdf. Per the instructions on the pdf, cut out the images into two long strips. (I added cut lines to the pdf after I tried to do it myself and struggled – use those!)
Lay out your strips (second book is shown) with the top and bottom rows just as they were on the print out before you cut it.
Fold the covers first.
Now you’re going to accordion fold each section. To get the best shape, fold only towards the outer edge of the book. What? That just means that you want to fold the front edges first and any inside creases (the spine side) second. Don’t try to line up the spine side folds! They won’t matter because they’ll be in the spine!
Next we need to connect the two pieces…let’s use tape (if you have a glue stick, go for it, I didn’t). Once again, line up that front edge and don’t worry about the spine side. It’s good to double check that both halves are going the same way before you set the tape! You’ll notice that I kept one half on top and one on bottom the whole time. That really does help keep them straight.
See that little bit to the right? That’s the tab for the spine! Yay! (At this stage, if you want, you can use a glue stick and connect all the inbetween pages. You don’t have to though – I didn’t – and do not add tape in between pages or it will get too bulky!). Fold the spine around the backsides of the pages then tape in place.
There is a little extra paper on the edge of the back of the book. Since the spine is long enough for Audrey-Ann’s book (it’s a little short on Willow’s book so you need the extra back!), you can trim that off or fold it in. Tape or glue the back cover down.
To really make the book both durable and shiny, let’s cover the cover with some clear packing tape!
Cut a piece of tape longer than your book. Lay it sticky side up and carefully place the open book into the sticky side. Take your time. I like to use my pinky finger nails to hold the ends of the tape in place which helps me center the book on the tape.
If you have a lot of tape, trim it but leave enough to fold over the inside of the covers to help strengthen things.
Pick up the book and give it a good pressing with your fingers to make sure all the tape is stuck down. Trim off any excess tape not adhered on the top or bottom.
If you did not use a glue stick to tack the pages together, you can pull out the insides if you want (shown here from above). If you don’t fuss with it, it will all stay inside. (If you’re making this for a child to play with, you probably want to use the glue stick).
Et voila! Here she is! Dime shown for scale. The books are formatted to 1 3/4 inches tall.
Battat offers samples of their books as well as the 2016 Catalogue. So I made that too! It is a larger formatting (there’s that dime again). Pdf here: og-2016-catalogue
Full list of available titles here: https://issuu.com/ourgenerationdolls
Check out the OG bookshelf here: http://www.ogdolls.com/bookshelf
All images and samples belong to the host providers as indicated and are used here solely for personal crafting.
If you have not had a chance to read an OG book, I highly recommend the stories. They are not available from Battat alone so you must purchase a doll or clothing set to get them. There are sales so keep an eye out.
If you want to make the rest, all I did was use the Snipping Tool (you could take screenshots and crop them too), paste the images into a Word document and scale each one to the same height until I had all the images (1.75 .inches for the books). The pages are each 1.31 inches wide (which is 2.62 wide for two pages). Alter the width size accordingly with the lock ratio turned off. Most of the images I copied were within .01 of the correct size already but that would have been enough to make the book “off” so it is worth changing everything to the same measurements! (And if that sounded like Klingon to you, feel free to email me requests for other books).